The Centre is named after The Rev Canon John Godber MA who wished to build a new Church Hall to accommodate the Sunday Schools, Boys Brigade and the Band of Hope which were housed in the Public Hall.
Canon Godber promised to give £100 for every £50 raised by the people of Hucknall. His Grace, The Duke of Portland very kindly offered a piece of land for the building. It stretched between Ogle Street and West Street 100 feet wide.
In October 1905 Mr Louise Ambler FSA of Temple Chambers London was named as the Architect and on Boxing Day (Tuesday 26th December 1905) a short service was held after which time the first ‘sod’ was cut by The Rev Canon John Godber MA.
In June 1906 Messers Fish and Son were awarded the contract for the building. The estimated cost was between £4,000 - £5,000.
The opening ceremony was conducted on the 16th November 1906. Her Grace, the Duchess of Portland unlocked the front door on Ogle Street upon receiving the keys from the Bishop of Southwell.
Sadly Canon Godber did not live to see his dream fulfilled, he passed away on Sunday 22nd July 1906. The building today is still a glorious tribute to the foresight and tenacity of the Rev Canon John Godber MA, a Centre which continues to provide for the benefit of all the community, rooms for all occasions and events.
The John Godber Centre has something to offer every age group in the community, whether your interest is sport, drama, dancing, flower arranging, childrens activities there is something for all.
Today, the John Godber Centre is owned by St Mary Magdalene Church and managed by a commitee comprising of volunteers from the church and the community with a team of 8 staff employed to oversee the day to day running of the Centre.
Manager and Community Groups Facilitator Kim Pears
Duty Managers Harriet Newton, Kirsty Hayward, Jen Sanders
Cleaning Team Trish Branton, Karen Cort, Kaye Thompson and Susan Rae
The John Godber Centre is part of The Ecclesiastical Parish of Hucknall Torkard which is a Registered Charity.
Charity Number 1132272